The museum is historical and chronological in content. Displays range from prehistoric times to the 20th century.
Major displays include fossils, buffalo, Indian, homesteaders, cattlemen, settlers, railroad, Civil War, and numerous miscellaneous displays that fit into those eras.
The museum complex of seven buildings is located on an acre of land. Besides the main building, there are on the grounds a blacksmith shop, two country stores, buggy shed, a fire hall, log cabin, a restored country school and a large display of farm machinery. All are from this area.
A street named “Merrill West” is located in the basement of the museum’s main building, and the store names are those which were in existence in Glendive from 1881 to mid-1900’s.
Murals on the exterior walls depict actual historic events of Glendive and the immediate surrounding area; Indian encampment, the buffalo which roamed the prairies, the wagon train of early settlers, Camp Canby - which was a military post - and the first site of the city itself.
Three recent notable acquisitions are a restored and working 1915 windmill, and a 1918 155mm cannon in the park area west of the main building and an NP caboose.