Custom Search
Ingomar

Upon completion of the Milwaukee Railroad in 1910, Ingomar became a hub of commerce in the area bounded by the Missouri, Musselshell and Yellowstone Rivers. From Ingomar, horses and wagons carried supplies to the settlers and brought produce back to the community. The railroad promoted the growth of the area by encouraging settlers to use the 1909 Homestead Act to stake 320 acre claims. There were an average of 2500 homestead filings per year in this area between 1911 and 1917.

Ingomar claimed the title of “Sheep Shearing Capital of North America.” Shearing at Ingomar was advantageous because of its vital location on the route between the winter pastures and the free summer grass. From Ingomar, the wool was loaded directly onto the railroad cars without risk of weather damage or delayed delivery to the buyers. Two million pounds of wool a year were shipped from Ingomar during the peak years of the 1910s.

A devastating fire in 1921, drought and depression have taken their toll on the area but the original frame school building, Bookman’s store and the Jersey Lilly Saloon are recognized by the National Register of Historic Places.

Text of Highway historic marker

On This Date in Montana--March 17, 1876

The Seventh Cavalry, commanded by Colonel Reynolds, attacks Chief Two Moon’s camp at dawn near the present-day town of Broadus. The Northern Cheyenne, caught by surprise, are forced to retreat leaving behind their tipis, buffalo robes, supplies and a herd of almost 700 horses. Colonel Reynolds orders the camp burned and captures the horses. Later that night, a band of Cheyenne braves returns to recapture all but 200 of the herd. Reynolds had left the herd unguarded and was court-martialed for the incident.

In 1936, W.P. Moncure, an Indian trader, with the help of a store employee named Jules, reburied the body of Chief Two Moons along with personal items of his and other Cheyennes from the Battle for the Little Bighorn, and a sealed envelope of documents. On the monument he wrote:

“Why I erected the Two Moons Monument 1)History and location of Starved to Death Rock; 2) Bozeman Expedition 1874 up Rosebud Creek, 3) Two soldiers got away from Custer Battle alive; 4) History, Indian fort up Busby Creek; 5) Hiding place and location of money and trinkets taken from dead soldiers on Custer Battlefield; 6) To be opened June 25, 1986. Key removes screws with offset screwdriver. W.P. Moncure, Busby, Montana, June 25, 1936.

Unfortunately, the vault was broken open and the items and the sealed envelope were taken around October, 1960.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Visit Montana | Live in Montana | Montana Communities | Search
Copyright © 2012 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved