Custom Search
Lombard

This railroad town sat at the crossroads of the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee railroads. For years, the only access to the town was by rail as there were no automobile roads to the community. It is the namesake of A.G. Lombard who was the chief engineer of the Montana Railroad during its construction. The town was originally known as Castle Junction and was dominated by the "Jaw Bone" Railroad. In the 1890s the town had a Chinese mayor named Billy Kee. A man-about-town, he built the famous two-story High Point Inn. The hotel served good meals and featured a bathroom with hot and cold running water. Kee was known as a "flexible" proprietor. When he retired at night, he would leave the light on for any latecomers and the cash register open. The guests would scrawl their name in the register, put their money in the till, and take a key to a room.

Excerpted from "The Ultimate Montana Atlas and Travel Encyclopedia".

Radersburg

Several mining camps nearby have been abandoned but Radersburg has never become a complete ghost town. The first gold was discovered in the early 1860s and in 1866 Jahn A. Keating’s mine brought people to town. The hills behind Radersburg still harbor the remains of various mine shafts. About 400 people live in the Toston and Radersburg area. Montana’s own, Myrna Loy was born nearby, in Parker which no longer exists.

Excerpted from "The Ultimate Montana Atlas and Travel Encyclopedia".

Copyright © 2003 Michael Dougherty. Use of this material for radio and television programs, printed media, webcasting, and any other source of mass dissemination is prohibited without permission of the publisher.

Home | Free Brochures | Bookstore | Visit Montana | Live in Montana | Montana Communities | Search
Copyright © 2012 New Times Media Corporation - All Rights Reserved