West Fork Cabin
- Places to Stay, Forest Service Cabins, Hiking/Backpacking, Wildlife Viewing
- General info
This cabin is located south of Black Butte in the Gravelly Mountain Range. No drinking water. Vault toilet. $35/night fee.
• This is one room cabin that sleeps 3. The cabin is equipped with a wood burning stove for heat. Firewood is available for use in the cabin stove only.
• Bring your own disposable propane canisters for camp stove and lantern.
• There is minimal cooking equipment provided.
• Renters must call the district office with their reservation number at 406-682-4253 during office hours for the lock combination. Office hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (Mountain Time) Mon-Fri, closed on weekends and Federal holidays.
• The outhouse is located approximately 100 feet south of the cabin.
• Bears frequent the area with mandatory food storage and refuse requirements in effect March 1 through December 1 annually. All food, garbage and animal carcasses must be properly stored and made unavailable to wildlife. Contact the Madison Ranger District for more details.
• Potential exposure to hantavirus due to presence of mice droppings in cabins.
• Rodenticide may be in use in cabin. Take appropriate precautions to avoid ingestion by children and pets.
• No garbage service provided. Please Pack it in, Pack it out.
• No cleaning service provided. Please clean the cabin before leaving. Cleaning supplies are provided.
• Please replenish supply of split wood and kindling before leaving. Please do not chop wood on the porch.
• There is a spring located north of the cabin. Water should be properly treated for drinking or cooking.
• Livestock are not allowed within the fenced area around the cabin and must be properly contained. Hay and feed, including grain, must be certified weed seed free.
From Ennis, travel 34 miles south on US Highway 287 to West Fork Rest Area. Turn right onto West Fork road #209 traveling two miles. Turn right onto Standard Creek road #237. Stay on this route for approximately 18.5 miles to 4-way junction. (You will pass Black Butte Cabin a half mile before junction). Turn left on Gravelly Range road #290 and travel 10.5 miles to West Fork turnoff, near a small rest area. Turn left and travel 3/4 mile to cabin.
In the summer, access is by road. In the winter, up to 30 miles of snowmobile or ski travel is required. Contact the district office at 406-682-4253 for detailed directions.
Courtesy of USDA Forest Service
0 average based on 0 Reviews
There are no reviews at the moment
Please login to view all listing details!