- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign
- General info
Location: Columbus The town of Columbus is located about 9 miles west of here. There is probably no town (or city) in Montana that had a more spectacular career, or more hectic embarrassment in ﬁnally lighting on an incorporated name than did the county seat of Stillwater. From 1875, when the Countryman stage station was known as Stillwater, until its incorporation in 1907, its name was changed every time the whims of a merchant moved his stock of merchandise, or a new business appeared. First it was Eagles Nest, about two miles west of town; then an Indian trading post was listed as Sheep Dip, and it was not until the Northern Paciﬁc built a station here in 1882 and named it Stillwater that the towns location attained permanence. Even this name didnt last long, however, as the N.P. had already listed a Stillwater, Minnesota, on their main line and the similarity of Minnesota and Montana led to misdirected shipments, so the name of Columbus replaced Stillwater on January 1, 1894 There was just reason, perhaps, that this part of the Yellowstone was slow in getting settled. It was borderland on the north side of the Crow Reservation, and there were constant raids on the area by Sioux
0 average based on 0 Reviews
There are no reviews at the moment
Please login to view all listing details!