E57B The Last Electric Locomotive
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites
- General info
The Milwaukee Road’s 656-mile electrified railroad ended at 11:40 P.M. June 15, 1974, when Engineer Art Morang stopped the E57B & E34C on the Harlowton Roundhouse Track. They were the last operating locomotives of the original 84 locomotives built by General Electric in 1915.
The electric locomotive roster had totaled 116 locomotives of 5 different types operating from Harlowton, Montana, 440 miles to Avery, Idaho, and 216 miles from Othello, Washington, to Tacoma, Washington, over 5 mountain ranges.
The E57B is 57’ 8-3/4” long, 16’ 8” high, 10’ 0” wide and weighs 144 tons. Rated at 1500 H.P. it could develop 2395 H.P. starting effort, a 62% overload. Operated in 1 to 4 unit consists, they were very trouble-free locomotives. The 3000 volt D.C. trolley restricted them to a small portion of the 11,248-mile railroad and they were replaced by the more versatile diesel-electric locomotives.
0 average based on 0 Reviews
There are no reviews at the moment
Please login to view all listing details!