Daly Mansion Historic Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign
- General info
Hamilton’s Daly Mansion was a summer retreat for Butte’s “Copper King” Marcus Daly and his wife, Margaret. Daly came to the United States as a poor Irish immigrant at age 15. Attracted to western mining camps, he quickly learned mining skills. Through ingenuity and hard work, he made a fortune from copper and was influential in Montana’s politics and economy for many years.
Daly began acquiring land to develop a 22,000 acre stock farm in the late 1880s and platted the town of Hamilton in 1890. His prized thoroughbreds, raised and trained in the Bitterroot Valley, set new records at Eastern tracks. Now open for tours, this 42 room Georgian revival style mansion contains many exquisite Italian marble fireplaces and an elegant central staircase. Newspapers of that period termed this mansion one of Montana’s largest homes, and also one of the West’s most pretentious and costly dwellings. Surrounding landscaped grounds include many exotic trees and graceful flowerbeds. Other structures include a greenhouse, playhouse, laundry, servant’s quarters and a heated swimming pool.
Daly’s mansion is located to your left, just off the Eastside Highway.
0 average based on 0 Reviews
There are no reviews at the moment
Please login to view all listing details!