Maiden's Gold Historical Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites
- General info
Location: North of Lewistown
The old mining camp of Maiden, now a ghost town, is located about 10 miles east of here. She roared into existence in May 1880, when gold was discovered by “Skookum Joe” Anderson, David Jones, Frank “Pony” McPartland, J. R. Kemper, C. Snow, and others.
“Skookum Joe” and Jones located placer claims in Virgin Gulch and later moved to Alpine Gulch. Several good placer diggings were opened the following month.
The first quartz mine was also located by Anderson and Jones. The Maginnis, the Spotted Horse, and the Collar were the best quartz producers. The ore in the Spotted Horse was “high grade” and was found in pockets.
Over three million in gold was taken from Maiden. Her population was 1,200 at the top of the boom. Ten years later it had dwindled to less than 200. The camp was prosperous for about 15 years.
Please login to view all listing details!