- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites, Lewis and Clark Expedition
- General info
The Sun River was called the Medicine River by the Indians in the days of the Lewis and Clark Expedition (18O4-06). The Indian name was probably given because of an unusual mineral deposit possessing marked medicinal properties which exist in a side gulch of the Sun River Canyon west of here.
This country was claimed and occupied by the Blackfeet Nation in the frontier days. After the Indians were relegated to reservations it became cattle range.
In 1913 the U.S. Reclamation Service built a storage and diversion dam near the mouth of the canyon and the water is used for irrigation on the valleys and benchlands east of here.
Please login to view all listing details!