The Judith Landing Historical Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites
- General info
This area, which surrounds the confluence of the Missouri and Judith Rivers, was designated a National Historic District in 1974 because of its historic importance to Montana’s transportation system. Missouri River steamboats en route to Fort Benton tied up at Judith Landing to buy fuel from “woodhawks.” The rotted stumps of trees cut for fuel can still be seen in the area. At the Judith’s mouth, Camp Cooke was built (1866) to protect river travellers from Indian attacks. In 1872, T. C. Power erected the Fort Claggett Trading Post just below the mouth of the Judith. Renamed Judith Landing, the site became a bustling community including (1885) a large stone warehouse, saloon, hotel, stable, blacksmith shop, and store. The PN (Power-Norris) Ferry provided transportation across the Missouri. The Lohse Family started (1923) a new ferry downstream, and it operated until the Winifred Bridge was built in 1982.
Please login to view all listing details!