Marias River Historical Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites, Lewis and Clark Expedition
- General info
The Lewis and Clark Expedition camped at the mouth of this river just east of here June 3, 1805. Lewis named it Maria’s River in honor of his cousin, Miss Maria Wood (over time the apostrophe was dropped) Until exploration proved otherwise, most members of the party believed this river to be the main channel of the Missouri.
On his return trip from the coast in 1806 Capt. Lewis explored the Marias almost to its source.
In the fall of 1831, James Kipp of the American Fur Co. built Fort Piegan at the mouth of the river, as a trading post for the Blackfoot Indians, and acquired 2,400 beaver “plews” or skins by trade during the first 10 days. In 1832 the post was abandoned and the Indians burned it.
Please login to view all listing details!