Liquid Gold Historical Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites
- General info
Water is the lifeblood of Montana. During the state’s early settlement, the rivers provided transportation and trading routes; later they sustained the livestock and crops of ranchers and homesteaders; and they still provide Montana’s base for agriculture, industry, and tourism. The Milk River that parallels Highway 2 from Glasgow to Hinsdale is one of the most important rivers in the north-central part of the state.
One of the earliest Milk River users was Augustin Armel (AKA Hamel) who arrived about 1820. He worked at all the major American Fur Co. posts on the Missouri River until the 1850s. In 1855, he opened Hammel’s House, the first trading post on the Milk River, located about 7 miles southwest of here (near Vandalia). Tom Campbell’s House followed, built near the same site in 1870. Neither lasted very Long and no physical remains of them have been found.
Later comers to this region raised mostly cattle, sheep, and wheat. They needed water on more of the land than was blessed with it and today you can see the irrigation system along Highway 2. The Lower Milk River Valley Water Users Association promoted the construction of the Vandalia Dam and Canal in the early
Please login to view all listing details!