Fort Union Historical Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites
- General info
Fort Union, one of the largest and best-known trading posts of the fur days, was located on the Missouri near the mouth of the Yellowstone, about 14 miles southeast of here. Built by the American Fur Company in 1828 for trade with the Assiniboine Indians, its importance increased with the arrival of the first steamboat from St. Louis, the “Yellowstone” about June 17, 1832.
The Blackfeet, influenced by British fur companies, had refused to trade with Americans until Kenneth McKenzie, in charge of Fort Union, succeeded in having a band of this nation brought to the fort in 1831.
Please login to view all listing details!