Sandy soil and numerous natural springs characterize this Montana area. When settlers moved to the area in the late 1800s, they noted the natural landscape and named their new town, Sand Springs. As more ranchers and farmers moved to the area, Sand Springs grew into a proud community that celebrated the construction of every new business with a town dance. By 1911, Sand Springs was home to a post office, school, several log cabins, a restaurant, pool house, general store, church, dance hall, and two newspapers. The town’s doomed fate was sealed, though, with the arrival of Montana drought. Today, only a handful of farmers and ranchers call Sand Springs home.