Bicycles are allowed on roadways, bike routes, and parking areas. They are not allowed on trails. Observe all traffic regulations. Keep to the right side of the road and ride in single file. Pull over if four or more vehicles stack up behind you. During periods of low visibility a white light or reflector, visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front, and a red light or reflector, visible from at least 200 feet to the rear, are required. Be visible! Attach a bright flag on a pole and wear light-colored clothing. Watch for falling rocks, drainage grates, and ice on road.
There are a limited number of sites at Sprague Creek, Avalanche, Apgar, Many Glacier, Fish Creek, Two Medicine, St. Mary, and Rising Sun. These sites are available for hikers and bicyclists. These sites are shared with a capacity of up to 8 people per site. If you have a larger group, you must split up or use other group sites where available. There is a $5.00 per person per night fee for Avalanche, Apgar, Many Glacier, Sprague Creek, Rising Sun, and Two Medicine. The reservation campgrounds of St. Mary and Fish Creek charge a fee of $8.00 for the first person and $5.00 for every individual beyond the first. If hiker/biker sites are full or you do not wish to share a site, you must use regular unoccupied campsites and pay the appropriate fee. Read more about campgrounds on the Camping page.
Motorcyclists must use regular unoccupied campsites.
Restrictions are in place on sections of the Going-to-the-Sun Road from June 15 through Labor Day to ease congestion and for added safety.
- Bicycles are prohibited from Apgar Campground to Sprague Creek Campground in both directions, between 11 am and 4 pm.
- Bicycle traffic from Logan Creek to Logan Pass eastbound (uphill) is prohibited between 11 am and 4 pm.
- Get an early start! The ride from Sprague Creek to Logan Creek takes about 45 minutes. From Logan Creek to Logan Pass takes about 3 hours.
Bicycles are not permitted on trails with three exceptions:
- The Fish Creek Bike Path from Apgar Village to Fish Creek Campground
- The old Flathead Ranger Station trail.
- The paved path from Park Headquarters to Apgar Village
One other option is the Inside North Fork Road that is temporarily closed to vehicles between Camas Creek and Logging Creek. It provides an excellent, although unpaved, route for exploring the park by bicycle.