Highwood

Historians speculate that Highwood draws its name from tall trees that have grown high on top of the volcanic Highwood Mountains surrounding the community. 

However the community received its name, it is known that Highwood was an important cattle-grazing area in the 1880s, and several cowboys migrated to the area to tend to their herds. To serve the needs of the growing ranching center, Isaac McCord opened the first post office in 1881. While the postal service was discontinued three times in the following years, Highwood reestablished a more stable post office in 1886 that has continuously operated to this day.

Photo Gallery