Beginning as a small homesteading community in the Montana plains, Hogeland’s population and industry boomed when the Great Northern Railroad established a line to the community in 1928.
For the positive effect the railroad had on the community, residents named their growing town Hogeland after the railroad’s chief engineer, A.H. Hogeland. Once the Great Northern arrived, so did other business opportunities. At the same time the railroad was established, Stener Wiprud began operating a post office. The town quickly grew to include a hotel, three restaurants, general stores, pool halls, grain elevators, repair shops, gas stations, a lumberyard, bakery, church, school, dairy, and a weekly newspaper. However, Hogeland’s prosperity could not be sustained. By 1960, Hogeland’s residents only numbered 80.
Photo Gallery Havre Area