Kremlin

There is some debate over how this town got its name. It is a fact that many of the early settlers were Russian. Some way they “saw the citadels of Moscow in the mirages that appear of the surrounding prairie.” 

Others say the settlers named it for the Russian word meaning fortress. In 1913 the Great Northern Railroad built a depot here to handle the implement and equipment shipments that were pouring in for the homesteaders. The Kremlin Chancellor reported, “it is a bustling, booming, growing trade center for the hundreds of homesteaders who have filed on 600,000 acres of highly productive chocolate loamsoil.”

Photo Gallery