Commonly known as the Montana area where Chief Joseph made one of his best showings, Lloyd lies on Snake Creek and owes its establishment to late 1800s cattle ranchers. As the nearby settlement of Judith Basin became overcrowded with eager homesteaders, the Judith Basin Cattle Pool decided to rename their cattle pool “Bear Paw Pool.”
Along with this name change, the cattle ranchers relocated themselves and nearly 3,000 head of cattle to a ranch owned by L.B. Taylor. This migration sparked a new settlement, which later acquired the name “Lloyd.” By 1890, the new ranching community was thriving, and Alice Murphey opened the first post office to serve the settlers’ postal needs.
Photo Gallery Havre Area