Officially known as Fort William Henry Harrison, this fort was first named after President Benjamin Harrison who was in office at the fort’s May 1892 establishment. However, fort officials soon realized that Indiana housed a post by the same name.
In 1906, the Montana fort’s name was changed to its present-day title in honor of William Henry Harrison, an Army man who served in Congress, acted as Governor of the Northwest Indian Territory in 1800, and was named US President just one month before his death. While Fort Harrison was eventually closed as an Army post, Montana National Guardsmen continue to utilize the fort and a VA hospital is located on-site.
Photo Gallery Helena Area