Grey Cliff, named for the sandstone bluffs near the town, was established in 1882. The little town was located under the bluffs on the south side of Interstate 90 just east of the present site. There was a coal dock, water tank and a "Y" to turn the engines around on the railroad.
A general store, saloon and boarding house with a few year-round residents made up the town. In 1890, the Northern Pacific Railroad moved Grey Cliff nearer to the tracks and the Yellowstone River. The first school was built in 1910. In 1949, the town was moved again to its present site. Between 1910 and 1924, Grey Cliff thrived. It boasted two general stores, a blacksmith shop, garage, livery barn, lumber yard, grain elevator, railroad depot, hotel, saloon, saddle shop, restaurant, post office, pool hall, dance hall, and cigar factory. With the increase of motorized transportation, making it easier for the local people to get to the larger towns, the little town slowly became the close-knit community it is today. Near Grey Cliff is the Pelican Fishing Access on the Yellowstone River. Across the Interstate is the Prairie Dog Town State Park. You can enjoy lunch while watching these little creatures in their natural habitat.
Reprinted from the Sweetgrass Chamber information sheet.