Silver Gate

The town of Silver Gate is located on land homesteaded by Horace S. Double, for which he was granted a patent on May 2, 1897. In 1932, John L Taylor and J. J. White later founded the town of Silver Gate on part of the homestead.

They intended to create a rustic, western town to serve the tourist trade and to provide building sites for summer recreationists. The year-round population includes only a few, but the summer population is well over a hundred. Covenants written for the original townsite covered setbacks, signs, and building standards requiring log construction and rustic architecture.

Source: Cooke City Chamber of Commerce

Photo Gallery