Superior, a county seat located at the mouth of Cedar Creek, was settled in 1869, named after the founders’ hometown of Superior, Wisconsin. Just ten miles from the Idaho border, the Clark Fork River cuts through the town. Mining, logging, and Forest Service activities collectively contribute to the area’s colorful history.
About 900 hundred residents still live in Superior, close to several ghost towns in the area. Originally named Carter, the Keystone camp was a wild town where a rich silver lode was discovered in the 1880s.
Behind Superior and a few miles north lies Pardee. The remains can be reached by car with some hiking or 4WD. A rich vein of silver was discovered during the late 1800s by a worker for the Iron Mountain Mining Co. Because of its remote location, safety laws, and dropping silver prices, operations closed in 1930. The museum in Superior is a great source of information for the various camps that have disappeared.