Once known as the “Biggest Little City in Eastern Montana,” Antelope arrived in Montana with the development of the railroad. Founded in 1910 by John and Richard Grayson, Antelope was later moved a one-half mile north in July 1910 when Isaac Culver acquired land from R. R. Ueland near Antelope Creek, for which the town was named.
With the arrival of the first passenger train in 1911, business in Antelope grew rapidly. While many of the predominantly Norwegian settlers farmed wheat fields or mined for O.B. Hoven’s Antelope Coal Company, several others worked for local businesses, including a bank, lumber yard, meat market, and clothing, furniture, and hardware stores.
Antelope’s claim to fame came on June 18th, 1966 when the US Navy christened and launched the USS Antelope PG-86. Although six other US towns carry the same name, the ship’s builders unanimously voted to adopt Antelope, MT as its namesake. As an honor to the town, the US Navy presented Antelope with a large painting of the USS Antelope Gunboat that can still be viewed at the Antelope Post Office. Now, largely a residential community, Antelope is proud of its heritage and history in the Eastern Montana plains.
Information courtesy of Sheridan’s Daybreak – 1970 and Sheridan’s Daybreak II - 1984
Photo Gallery Northeast Montana