Glasgow

Like many names for towns picked by the railroads, a spin of the globe determined this town’s name. Glasgow was named after Glasgow, Scotland. It began as a railroad town on the tracks of the Great Northern Railway in 1887. Its original name was Siding 45. It was the 45th siding west of Minot, North Dakota. 

It remained a sleepy little livestock and grain town until 1933 when construction of the Fort Peck dam began 18 miles southeast. While many of the construction workers lived in the boom towns surrounding the lake, many stayed in Glasgow.

Photo Gallery