Custer National Forest Montana

Sonnette

Isolated near the edge of Custer National Forest, Sonnette was initially known to early settlers as Camps Pass. Later, homesteaders changed the name to Selway. With the assistance of trapper and buffalo hunter, Charles Oscar Mason, Selway became a more permanent settlement in 1880. As more homesteaders migrated to the area, Selway’s residents applied for postal services in the 1920s as well as a name change to Sonnette. The request was granted, and in 1926, the Sonnette post office opened under Charles Smith. However, the population dwindled, and by 1967, the post office had closed its doors.