Traveler's Rest Historic Marker
- Historical Markers/Interpretive Sign, Historic Sites, Lewis and Clark Expedition
- General info
The Lewis and Clark Expedition, westward bound, camped at the mouth of Lolo Creek September 9th, 10th, 1805. They had been traveling down the Bitter Root Valley and halted here to secure a supply of venison before crossing the mountains to the west via Lolo Pass. They named the spot Traveler’s Rest, and it was at this camp that they first learned of the Indian road up Hell Gate leading to the buffalo country east of the main range of the Rockies.
Returning from the coast they again camped here from June 30th, 1806, to July 3rd. When the party divided, Lewis took the Indian “Road to the Buffalo” and after exploring the Marias River descended the Missouri while Clark went via the Big Hole, Beaver Head, Jefferson and Gallatin Valleys and the Yellowstone River.
They reached their rendezvous near the mouth of the Yellowstone within 9 days of each other.
Considering distance and unexplored terrain, they were tolerably punctual.
Please login to view all listing details!