Loma Montana

Loma

This is near one of the recorded campsites of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. They camped here on June 3, 1805, and named the smaller river here after a cousin of Capt. Lewis, Maria Wood. In 1831, James Kipp of the American Fur Co. established Fort Piegan here. 

The fort was abandoned a year later when it was burned by Indians. It was replaced shortly after by Fort McKenzie. For many years there was a ferry here.

Photo Gallery